[AMPL 18377] baron ¿normal or heuristic termination?

[AMPL 18377] baron ¿normal or heuristic termination?

Alba Victoria
Hi everyone!

I'm interested on finding the global optimum of a problem and I'm using baron solver for this purpose. I've seen baron provide various termination messages, including "Normal termination", which guarantees global optimality, and "Heuristic termination", which does not. I was wondering how to retrieve this messages on AMPL. I'm looking at solve_result_num, but I'm not sure that a zero values ensures global optimality in this case. Can anyone give me a hand with this?

Thanks!

Alba

Re: [AMPL 18403] baron ¿normal or heuristic termination?

Alba Victoria
Thanks!!

El viernes, 15 de marzo de 2019, 19:00:35 (UTC+1), AMPL Google Group escribió:
The BARON documentation does not suggest that there is any way to distinguish between "Normal termination" and "Heuristic termination" except to look at the messages produced by the BARON run. However we are investigating whether AMPL can distinguish these cases, and will let you know if we find anything.

--
Robert Fourer
{#HS:801660086-38470#}
On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 11:18 AM UTC, Ampl Modeling Language <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="jOuQn3atDAAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">am...@...> wrote:
Hi everyone!

I'm interested on finding the global optimum of a problem and I'm using baron solver for this purpose. I've seen baron provide various termination messages, including "Normal termination", which guarantees global optimality, and "Heuristic termination", which does not. I was wondering how to retrieve this messages on AMPL. I'm looking at solve_result_num, but I'm not sure that a zero values ensures global optimality in this case. Can anyone give me a hand with this?

Thanks!
Alba

Re: [AMPL 18417] baron ¿normal or heuristic termination?

AMPL mailing list
BARON for AMPL has been updated to recognize four new baron_options keywords -- deltaterm, deltat, deltaa, deltar -- that correspond the similarly named options in section 7.1 of the BARON manual. When BARON terminates due to the deltaterm criterion (producing the *** Heuristic termination *** message) it now returns a solve_result_num value of 150, so you can distinguish this case from termination with a feasible and globally optimal solution which returns a solve_result_num value of 0.

--
Robert Fourer
On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 11:42 AM UTC, Ampl Modeling Language <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks!!

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 6:00 PM UTC, AMPL Google Group <[hidden email]> wrote:
The BARON documentation does not suggest that there is any way to distinguish between "Normal termination" and "Heuristic termination" except to look at the messages produced by the BARON run. However we are investigating whether AMPL can distinguish these cases, and will let you know if we find anything.

--
Robert Fourer
[hidden email]